Is Conservatory a University?

All degree programmes are divided into two parts: Bachelor Degree (Corsi di Diploma Accademico di I livello – Triennio) and Master Degree (Corsi di Diploma Accademico di II livello – Biennio).
The bachelor degree is not a university degree, but in case of public competition the degree is considered as a bachelor university degree.

Undergraduate programmes (Corsi Preaccademici) are also foreseen as preparatory studies to bachelor degree programmes.

Is the conservatory degree a high school diploma?

No, it isn’t.

How students can be admitted?

Students have to pass through a first selection to be admitted: according to the number of places available, candidates are ranked. The youngest will be selected in case two students get the same score.

Is it possible to attend a modern course of study at the Conservatory?

No, it isn’t: classical curriculum and jazz curriculum (with the exception of jazz sing) are available.

Is there any convention between the Conservatory of Turin and other institutions?

Yes, they are:
– Città di Torino
– Università degli Studi di Torino
– Politecnico di Torino
– Teatro Regionale
– Orchestra Nazionale della RAI
– Teatro Baretti – Mozart Nacht und Tag
– MiTO – Settembre Musica
– TFF – Torino Film Festival
– Musei Vaticani
– Museo del Risorgimento
– Reggia di Venaria
– Stefano Tempia
– Accademia Maghini
– Accademia di Pinerolo
– Juilliard school di New York
– The University of Georgia
– Conservatorio di Chambéry e Nizza
– Haute École de Musique de Lausanne

When students have to present the admission request?

Admission requests must be presented at the Secretary’s Office (Segreteria didattica) from May 1st to May 31th. For more information about the registration procedures see “Notizie in evidenza”.
Entrance tests usually take place in September. The programmes for the admission tests are mentioned in the website (see “Offerta formativa”).

Programmi per gli esami di ammissione dei corsi Pre Accademici
Programmi per gli esami di ammissione per singole scuole (Diploma accademico di primo livello)
Programmi di Ammissioni trienni, disposizioni comuni
Programmi per gli esami di ammissione per singole scuole (Diploma accademico di secondo livello)

Is it required that students perform their audition with piano accompaniment?

No, it isn’t. Anyway, if an accompaniment is necessary, the pupil has personally to take charge of it.

Can candidates present an admission request in several Italian Conservatories?

Yes, they can. In case there are two entrance tests in different Conservatories at the same time, the Conservatory will not change the date of the exam, the pupil must make a choice.

Undergraduate programmes are foreseen to offer a preparation for bachelor programmes. They are divided into three moments (2 base periods + 1 preparatory period), after each period students can pass an exam to achieve the corresponding certification of acquired competences and skills (A, B, C).
The duration of the three periods can change according to the learning ability of every student.
Different types of activities are planned during the studies: individual classes, group classes, theory lessons, workshops.
Students have to do an entrance examination to be admitted. Limits of age have to be respected.
For more information see: http://www.conservatoriotorino.gov.it/formazione/corsi-pre-accademici/.

Is it necessary to attend an undergraduate programme to begin bachelor degree programme?

No, it isn’t. Undergraduate programmes are not necessarily required to attend a bachelor degree programme, in fact they are just preparatory studies.

Does students with the C level certification have to do a specific entrance test if they want to attend a bachelor’s programme?

Yes, they have.

Bachelor degree programme

To attend a bachelor degree programme students must have a high school diploma or an equivalent foreign degree. Of course a proper preparation is required.
In particular cases of talented pupils, students can be admitted without a high school diploma. It will be necessary to obtain it before the end of the studies.

What does students have to prove during the entrance test?

During the entrance examinaton, the candidate must prove:
– to know music theory, to be confident in musical score reading;
– to present the programme with a correct performance (technique and style);
– motivation to start the programme of studies.
A candidate will not pass the test if he/she doesn’t reach the test in solfeggio.
See: Disposizioni comuni.
Students have to reach 180 ECTS to have the degree, including the european language exam (for foreign students a specific italian language exam is foreseen).
For more information see: http://www.conservatoriotorino.gov.it/formazione/corsi-accademici-i-livello/.

Master degree programme

Who can present an admission request?

Students with a bachelor degree of a Conservatorio Statale di Musica, Istituto Musicale Pareggiato Italiano, or equal foreign institutions can present an admission request.

Does students that obtain a bachelor’s degree at the Conservatory of Turin have to pass an exam to start a master’s programme?

Yes, they do. The passage from a bachelor programme to a master programme is not automatic.

The master’s degree is obtained with 120 ECTS.

For more information see: http://www.conservatoriotorino.gov.it/formazione/corsi-accademici-ii-livello/.

Is it possible to move from another Conservatory or from Music Colleges and Universities to the Conservatory of Turin?

Yes, it is. Students can move to the Conservatory of Turin if they haven’t finish their study programme (it isn’t possible to move to the Conservatory of Turin just to do the final exam). Anyway, to be admitted students have to do an entrance test. The programme of the test can be chosen with a teacher of the Conservatory and approved.
Students of undergraduate programmes cannot simply move from one Conservatory to another one, they must approve the entrance test first.

Is it possible to suspend the study programme?

Yes, it is. Students can suspend their study programme if the teacher is informed in advance. Even if a student decides to suspend his/her career, he/she has to respect the maximum duration of the study programme, including the suspended period. Once he/she wants to go back to studies, the Academic Board will ask for the amount of money to be paid.

Is it possible to ask for an Erasmus programme?

Yes, it is. The Erasmus programme allow students and teachers to attend a period of studies or job in a foreign Conservatory in Europe or in a State that take part in the programme. Students can present a request during their bachelor programme or their master programme. The minimum period is of three months, the maximum of 12 months.

For more information see: “International opportunities”)

Is it possible to obtain a part-time status?

Yes, it is. Students have to pay the 70% of the annual tax and achieve at least 18 ECTS and not more than 45. In any case the duration of studies cannot be longer than the double of the normal duration.

The passage from a full-time to a part-time solution must be notified to the Secretary’s Office (Segreteria didattica) at the moment of the registration or re-registration or, anyway, before the start of the academic year. The passage from the part-time solution to the part-time one can be made in any moment during the school year, with the integration of the missing fee.

If I need an instrument is it possible to rent it?

Yes, it is. You can borrow it at the Ufficio Prestiti (adolfo.digisi@conservatoriotorino.eu), appointment-only, on Monday (winds) and Wednesday (strings) at 3pm.

Is it possible to study in a classroom of the Conservatory?

Yes, it is possible with the reservation of the classroom. The procedure for the reservation is available online here. The reservation of the main hall (Salone) or of the smaller hall (Saletta) have to be request by e-mail to the Assistant Director (claudio.voghera@conservatoriotorino.eu).

Is it possible to borrow musical scores?

Yes, it is. Students can borrow musical scores and study at the Conservatory Library (Biblioteca).

How can I obtain the equivalence of educational qualification?

You can find the istructions in the following link www.cimea.it

Is it possible to attend Conservatory and University at the same time?

Yes, it is. Students can attend a degree programme (bachelor and master) and a University one. However, there is a limitation: students can’t obtain more than 90 ECTS in total in both institutions. Limitations for students that attend an undergraduate course aren’t laid down.

Is it possible to attend two degree programmes at the same time?

Yes, it is. It is possible to attend two part-time degrees: two bachelor programmes or a bachelor programme and a master programme, but it is not allowed to attend two master programmes at the same time. Anyway, it is not possible to graduate in both programmes at once.
In this case, students have to pay EDISU fee just once and a 25% discount will be applied to the second degree programme.
It is also allowed to attend both an undergraduate programme and a degree programme.

Is it possible to attend an individual course?

Yes, it is. Students can attend an individual course between the options of bachelor and master course. The application for entry must be presented from November 1st to 15th and the application fee is of 100€ plus 25€ for every credit (ECTS). Students must present their personal transcripts to take the exam.

Is it possible to attend courses as unregistered student?

Yes, it is. The unregistered student must present a request to the Segreteria didattica; after the permission has been given, the student will pay the application fee of 150,00 € (including the assurance fee).

Is it possible to attend evening classes?

No, it isn’t. The Conservatory is open from 8.30 am to 7.30 pm from Monday to Saturday.

EDISU fee (Ente Regionale per il Diritto allo Studio Universitario del Piemonte): all pupils with a high school diploma, except at the undergraduate level, have to pay the EDISU fee of 140,00 €, every year at the moment of the re-entry.

ISEE reduction: 75 ranges of reduction are planned, from a minimum of 12.500,00 € to a maximum of 85.500,00 € in a year. The reduction will not influence the first fee (450,00 € for the full-time option, 315,00 € for the part-time one), but it will affect the second fee.

To promote the right to study, a number of benefits are made available to students. These benefits are guaranteed based on an overall evaluation of students’ household income and assets.
To apply for these benefits, students must obtain the ISEE certificate only from the CAFs, that are centres with proven expertise and reliable staff and are based throughout Italy.
You shall go to a CAF and submit a specific benefit application form within the prescribed terms. This applies to all members of your household and also to any other services you may want to request.
The certificate issued by a CAF can be used by any member of the household, if needed.
Please note that this service is totally free of charge for students.

Documents required for ISEE calculation

To calculate the ISEE index relating to the 2015 fiscal year, the income of all members of the household relating to 2015 and reported in 2017 6s required.
The composition of the household (family certificate – in Italian: “stato di famiglia”) is required as well: please note that the conventional household includes, in addition to you, all those who are included in your family certificate on the date of application submission, even if they are not related.

Parents are not included in the household if:

  • you have not resided with your family of origin for at least 2 years, calculated with reference to the date of filing of the application, and if you live in a house that is not owned by one of your family members;
  • you have earned income from subordinate or similar employment, duly reported for tax purposes, for at least two years, equal to at least EUR 6,500.00.
    In case of separation or divorce of your parents, you belong to the household of the parent receiving spousal support.
    If your parents belong to two separate households, in the absence however of a legal separation or divorce, your household is integrated with that of both your parents.

When the exam sessions are?

The exam sessions are three: invernale (February-March), estiva (June-July), autunnale (September-October).

Is it possible to see the exams?

Yes, it is. The final exams are public. It is not possible to see the entrance tests.

Is it possible to bring forward or to postpone the exams?

Yes, it is, but pupils must respect the logical order of subjects (for example Teorie e tecniche dell’armonia I must be attend before Teorie e tecniche dell’armonia II). They also must have at the end of the third year of bachelor’s course (that can be extended to a maximum of six years) all academic credits (171 ECTS plus 9 ECTS of the final test).